In an effort to assist our community partners specializing in homeless housing services and the people that they serve, the City of Morgantown has launched the Landlord Incentive Program for Homeless Individuals, or LIP. The LIP can get people off the streets, out of shelters and into a place to call home.
In 2020, the city completed a housing study that showed a lack of available housing options for very low and low-income renter households. The lack of available housing serving these lower income households can contribute to renters living in substandard units, being in a cost burdened housing situation, or even possibly becoming homeless again.
The LIP offers landlords the following incentives:
- $500 leasing bonus funded by the City of Morgantown;
- $25 application expense reimbursement funded by the City of Morgantown;
- $1,500 damage claim reimbursement funded by the City of Morgantown;
- Security Deposit Assistance through the West Virginia Coalition to End Homelessness and Bartlett Housing Solutions;
- Case Management through the West Virginia Coalition to End Homelessness and Bartlett Housing Solutions; and
- An opportunity to give back to the community.
For landlords to be eligible for the LIP they must meet the following requirements:
- Initial lease term must be at least 12-months and accept some amount of rent through housing vouchers;
- Units must be in city limits;
- Units must pass inspection and provide necessary accommodations; and
- Unit must be registered with the City of Morgantown Code Enforcement and have no outstanding violations.
The City of Morgantown encourages all landlords that are interested in participating in the program to contact the West Virginia Coalition to End Homelessness at 304-476-4717 and/or Bartlett Housing Solutions at 304-282-2278.
While the LIP is funded by the city, our community partners, non-profits, and social service agencies will help implement the program. All landlords will work directly with the West Virginia Coalition to End Homelessness and/or Bartlett Housing Solutions.
For more information on the Landlord Incentive Program for Homeless Individuals, visit our website.